Pages

Saturday, June 27, 2015

The Truth About Learning To Drive




Yesterday evening I finally booked my theory test- the second hurdle to getting my driving license. The first being getting in the car and learning to drive, the third being taking the practical part of the test. I've been learning to drive for about 20 weeks, so I'm slowly improving and finally feel as if I am capable of getting in the car and driving without too much input from my instructor. I find it strange, however, how most people cannot wait to get their license. Because, personally, I have found learning to drive to be one of the most stressful experiences of my life.

When I initially started learning, there were several occasions where I messed up. It's natural- every learner driver is going to make mistakes. Many a time have I stalled the car, turned too little or had trouble when trying to quickly overtake a cyclist. Everything is new when you're behind the wheel and when you don't have the confidence in what you're doing, it is more likely that you'll mess up.

One of my most stressful driving experiences was when I was sat, first in the queue, in front of a traffic light. When the light turned green, I stalled. It went red. I waited. The light went green, I stalled, it turned red. Cars behind me were beeping and whilst my granddad got out the car to give the car behind a piece of his mind, I scooted over to the passenger seat and refused to drive. Sometimes I still feel my heart rate increasing as I sit waiting for the traffic light to turn green.

Another moment was when I was turning into my road. After waiting for oncoming traffic to pass, I went to turn but realised that I wasn't in gear- the car wasn't moving anywhere. The cars behind me were beeping and I felt under so much pressure that by the time I had got the car into gear, it wasn't clear for me to turn, but I did anyway. More honking. More beeping. Me getting home. Me crying. Me not driving for a week.

People think exams are stressful but, truth be told, I have found learning to drive much more testing than any exam I've faced. When you're on the road, there are so many drivers who will get angry at you. They might beep their horns and shout profanity just because they can. Just because they are protected by some metal bubble that means you can't give them a slap when they do. On the road, some people don't care about the learner plates. The truth is, some motorists are just assholes. Mean, horrible, sour people who have no compassion or empathy, despite the fact that they were once learner drivers as well.

I'm thankful that I'm not the only one who has had such experiences. I know of someone who drove around town with their handbrake still on. Another someone who, when attempting to pull away on a hill, rolled back and tapped the car behind. Another friend drove into another car, luckily only his friend's. The fact that other people I know have experienced such things helps when trying to cope with the pressure I feel on the road. These three people now have their licenses. As for mine.... I'm working on it. But fingers crossed that, from here on out, it'll be a smooth ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment