Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The Art of Unicycling




When people think of unicycling, the first thing that usually comes to mind is the circus. Acrobats and clowns perched on top of a one-wheeled contraption, tossing juggling balls up into the air. Outside the circus, however, they aren’t common. Or at least not in most towns. Where I live, there seems to be a growing unicycling community. Of course, when I say this, I don’t mean that the whole town has started to learn this art form, but there are about 8 or so unicyclists which is generally a larger community than in most towns. But what is so great about this clown-ish form of transportation?


Of course, many people think that unicycling is incredibly difficult. Truth be told, it isn’t. Of course, it will be a daunting task at first as even getting onto the unicycle is a difficult process that requires support of some sort when you start out. Unicycling requires you to balance on two axes, which takes some getting used to. However, within about 3-4 solid hours of unicycling, my brother was in full control. I am getting there, practicing little and often, and have finally learnt to steer. I am yet to learn how to steer without flailing my arms about like an idiot, however. As for falling, the risk is generally quite low. You will fall a lot when you start out but the likelihood of hurting yourself, however, is lower than learning to ride a bike. When you fall, you will either fall forwards or backwards, never to the side. This way, the unicycle falls from between your legs and you will generally land on your feet. This is just from my experience, however. The worst injury I’ve experienced while unicycling was when I fell off and the unicycle fell, bounced off a pillar and hit me in the shin. To be totally honest, it was harder learning to skateboard, something I was taught as a kid.


Naturally, one rather interesting part of unicycling is the looks that you get from the public. Unicyclists are a rare sight, so when you ride past someone you may get a few glances. You may even get the occasional comment. Such comments may include
  • A reference to the circus
  • An exclamation os some sort, such as ‘sweet’, ‘nice’, ‘awesome’ etc.
  • A claim that the person speaking could unicycle just as easily

It’s amusing how welcoming and friendly people are to unicyclists. Cars may even slow down to watch you ride- It’s all very flattering! But the main reason I unicycle is because it really is, truthfully, honestly, unbelievably fun. 


There’s something about riding along, racing along the pavement and hopping up kerbs that really is exciting. I find that going through the whole learning process can be a real challenge and that I always want to improve myself- when I finally manage to cycle a long distance, I have a great feeling of achievement. I have been out with my brother’s friends before in the evening, participating in unicycle races and watching as my brother and his friend perform some sort of ridiculous unicycle dance- I think that it can be just as fun as skateboarding.



For those that might overlook this curious and strange sport, don’t. Unicycling really is an amazing form of exercise and entertainment. Who else can say that they know how to unicycle?

No comments:

Post a Comment